"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. " Jeremiah 33:3

Monday, February 13, 2012

"As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him." Acts 9:3 NASB

The most extraordinary things happen right in the middle of our otherwise ordinary days. I sat and thought of the extraordinary things that have happened in my life since I became a believer and every one of them just seemed to have been plopped down right in the middle of my ordinary days. God just "breaking in" as He did with Saul when he was traveling on the road to Damascus.

Of all the many times that I have witnessed and shared Jesus Christ with others I can only think of a handful that I knew about ahead of time. Most of them came in the middle of ordinary days, walking around a lake on Mothers Day, going on a shopping trip, at an airport, on a flight to San Francisco, at a roadside fruit stand, getting my hair done, dropping off flyers for a political candidate, in a WalMart, in a restaurant, in a parking lot, on the phone, in a bible book store, all of these and many others just ordinary days that God turned into extraordinary encounters.

But they didn't just happen, God has prepared me over the years in my daily quiet time. Countless times He has drawn my attention to a specific scripture that was just precisely what someone else needed later that day, and His Word performs extraordinary work that only the living Word of God can. Or He will begin to open my eyes to the questions of Jesus in Scripture and six months later it will become a devotional journal called The Quest; A personal journey through the probative and timeless questions of Jesus Christ. Another quiet time yielded the seeds for a book that I wrote for my grandchildren called Gabe and The Clubhouse Kids. A bible study named Call to Me was the result of years of just being in the Word and having the Lord open it up to me.

None of this is about me, it is all about the Lord and what He will do when we seek Him and meet with Him in His Word and in prayer. As I'm writing this post it is becoming so clear to me that without exception the extraordinary occurrences in my life all had their genesis in the ordinary quiet times spent with the Lord in His Word. In truth, using the word ordinary in conjunction with spending time with the Lord is an oxymoron!

For the most extraordinary thing that ever happens to anyone of us is that the God of all creation desires to meet with us, His creation! He speaks to us from His Word, He bends His ear to hear our prayers and He answers them! He wants to be involved in our ordinary lives and He has every right to show up anywhere and anytime He wills, and we are so blessed to be a part of what He is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment