"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. " Jeremiah 33:3

Thursday, November 3, 2011

"If you love Me, obey My commandments." John 14:15 NLT

Years ago I wrote a bible study named Call To Me. Call to Me is a topical study consisting of 17 chapters and one of the chapter headings is, If You Love Me, Mind Me!

I share a story about my youngest son Mike and a brief conversation we had when he was about four years old. It was very brief but I remember it as if it happened yesterday, I remember where we were and what I was doing when it happened. The things that are really important are etched forever in our memories and this was one of those times. I was preparing dinner and I asked my boys to go pick up their toys and put them away before dinner. Later Mike came in the kitchen and I asked him, "did you pick up your toys?" He came over put his little arms around my leg and looked up at me with that grin that lights up a room, and still does and he said, "I love you Mommy." To which I replied, "If you love me, mind me." The words had not even left my tongue when the thought came to me that is what God says to His children in His Word! "If you love Me, obey My commandments." John 14:15. Life application time!

God used both of my sons to teach me valuable truths from His Word. On another occasion, Tony was about 3 and he was playing at my feet in the living room. He was really struggling with a toy that he couldn't operate. I offered to help but he just kept struggling growing increasingly frustrated, finally at the point of tears he gave me the toy. Again the Lord showed me that He watches His children struggle and cry over the problems they are dealing with and He is waiting and watching all the while, He wants to fix it but we don't bring it to Him! Sadly He is too often our last resort instead of our first. Again Life application!

For almost 10 years I have daily read Oswald Chambers devotional, My Utmost for His Highest, what a blessing it is. And today's entry November 2 is hands down my favorite of the 365 devotionals. It is about obedience.

It is my favorite for I know it to be true because I have experienced the blessings of obedience in my life! John 14:21 is one of my favorites; "Those who accept My commandments and obey them are the ones who love Me. And because they love Me, My Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal Myself to each of them." Wow!!

Jesus modeled the way for all believers by His obedience to His heavenly Father, His obedience was an obedience unto death. John 14:31; "So that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me."
JESUS DEFINES LOVE AS OBEDIENCE TO HIM, AND TO HIS COMMANDMENTS.

Jesus said in Matthew 15:7-8; "You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you; 'This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far away from Me.'" We can give lip service to God all day long telling Him we love Him but our hearts come into alignment with His when we show Him our love through obedience. And as promised in John 14:21, our obedience shows our love for Him and He will reveal Himself to us!
OBEDIENCE TO THE LORD, OBEDIENCE TO HIS COMMANDMENTS BRINGS REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST.

Enough said......

No comments:

Post a Comment