"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. " Jeremiah 33:3

Saturday, November 26, 2011

"And Enoch walked in habitual fellowship with God; and he was not, for God took him (home with Him.)" Genesis 5:24 AMP

I've always been fascinated by the accounts in the Word of God of people that walked with God. Enoch walked with God for 300 years! Noah walked with God, Abraham walked with God, Levi walked with God. This list is not meant to be all inclusive but rather representational. There is something very special that happens when we walk with God!

So what does that look like? Amos 3:3 says; "Can two walk together except they be in agreement?" Here was my first clue as to what it looks like to walk with God. I discovered there are at least ten parts to walking with God and here they are.

1. We must be in agreement and alignment with God. John 3:16; "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son (Jesus Christ) that whosoever believes in Him does not perish but has everlasting life." We trust in Christ alone for our salvation and now we are at peace with God, sins are forgiven and we are in agreement with Him.

2. I intentionally choose to meet with Him daily. Psalm 5:3; "In the morning O LORD You will hear my voice; in the morning I will offer my prayer to You and eagerly watch." We will never walk with God unless and until we deliberately choose to meet with Him daily, in His Word and in prayer.

3. God determines the location of our walk. We have come into agreement with Him, we are meeting daily with Him and now things really begin to happen. God shows up in the strangest places to walk with us, at Curves, at sporting events, even shopping in your favorite store. But don't try to anticipate Him, you never will for His ways and thoughts are not like our ways and thoughts. Read Isaiah 55:8-9.

4. God never chooses the same location, nor will He lead in the same way as in the previous location. This time He may show up on a cross country red eye flight, or on vacation or at your daughter's dance recital. Always be ready, always be watching for Him.

5. Never try to erect a tabernacle because of the way God healed, or lead, or saved, or witnessed, or showed up! God will never be bound by our limited thinking. Matthew 17:4; "And Peter said to Jesus, Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for You and one for Moses and one for Elijah." Don't laugh we act just like Peter.

6. God alone will set the pace of our walk. Psalm 23:2; "He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters."

7. God will sometimes have us wait, and yes most of the time with absolutely no explanation. He doesn't answer to us, waiting, helps me to remember that. And waiting brings its own reward; strength, and stamina! Isaiah 40:31; "They who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

8. God other times expects us to sprint! I know, isn't it great that the times of waiting are the very thing that prepares us to be able to sprint or to go the distance? God always knows what He is doing and where He is leading us and what is up ahead. Obedience to Him and to His commands is always to be immediate! Matthew 4:18-20; "While walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fisherman. And He said to them, Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men. Immediately they left their nets and followed Him."

9. When God says move, we move and don't look back. Luke 9:61-62; "Then another said, I'm ready to follow you, Master, but first excuse me while I get things straightened out at home. Jesus said, No procrastination. No backward looks. You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day."

10. God never, ever follows. Exodus 13:21-22; "And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night. The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart from before the people." If we run out ahead of God, not waiting on Him, doing our own thing, we are putting ourselves in great danger for we forget that apart from Him we can do nothing! Read John 15:5.

Today LORD I choose to follow where You lead, I choose You! I desire to walk with You all of the days of my life, I've tried it on my own and why should I settle for that, when I can soar with you, God!!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I found it very interesting. Thanks.
    www.rebeccabany.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. 👍 Great post. My husband and I had lots to discuss from this post. Thanks and God's blessings upon you IN. Amen.

    ReplyDelete