"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. " Jeremiah 33:3

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"But when you ask Him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind." James 1:6 NLT

The analogy pictured in the title verse of a person with divided loyalty as being as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown, and tossed by the wind is a very good one. But why is that in the Word of God? Why is it important? What is the application for our lives?

It is in the Word of God because it describes so many believers. Over and over again I have people tell me, 'my walk with the Lord is all over the place, one minute I'm on fire and having my daily quiet time and the next thing I know I'm not reading the Word, I'm not praying, why is this happening to me?' Or some have described their relationship with the Lord like a roller coaster ride; up to the mountain tops and down into the valleys, not really going anywhere just around in circles.

The answer is in the Word and it is a choice of our will that we choose to make. It is found in John 15:5, 8; "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in Me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be My disciples." To abide in Jesus is to stay connected to Him, all the time, daily in the Word and in prayer. The Word of God is Him speaking to us and in prayer we respond to what He has said and obey it. There are times you don't feel like getting up and reading the Word, but you do it anyway, you choose to obedience. And Jesus defines love as obedience, read John 14:15,21, 31. Life application; I will choose to put God first in my life, the first thing everyday.

This is one example of divided loyalty. If we wait until we "feel" like doing anything in regards to the Kingdom of God we would never do anything! Romans 8:7-8; "For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." And that is why it is important because divided loyalty in His children will never please Him!

There is another divided loyalty that the Word of God very forcibly warns us about, it is found in James 4:4-5 The Message; "You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and His way. And do you suppose God doesn't care?" Friendship with the world means we care more about what the world values, money, fame, me, me, me, those things mean more to us than our Lord. We are our own idol when we put our desires above God's divine plan for our lives. Life application; I choose to take my eyes off of the temporal things of the world and keep them loyally focused on God and His eternal kingdom work.

Which brings us to another thing that causes divided loyalty in a child of God. Jesus warned very plainly about this one in Matthew 7:21,24 The Message; "It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being. You can't worship two gods at once. Loving one god, you'll end up hating the other. Adoration of one feeds contempt for the other. You can't worship God and Money both." Worship of money leads to greed and greed is never, ever, satisfied! True soul satisfaction is found in having peace with God through Jesus Christ. Life application; I choose to be obedient to the last stronghold preventing me from total surrender to Christ, tithing! Everything I have came from Him and I am only returning 10%, not because He needs the money, but because tithing breaks the hold that money held on me! Tithing sets me free from money and greed for things.

The last one is the most insidious because it seems so harmless but in reality it causes every believer as many problems in their relationship with the Lord than any other. What is it? Doubt. Does God really love me? Will God really take care of my needs? Does God really care about me or my spouse or my children? Can I trust God?

Doubt is what Satan used against Eve in the garden of Eden; "Did God really say..." Genesis 3:1. When Eve didn't know enough of what God truly said, to challenge that, then Satan lied to her, Genesis 3:4. You know the rest of the story.

Doubt is the opposite of faith and Hebrews 11:6 says "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him." Need more faith? Romans 10:17; "So faith comes through hearing and hearing through the Word of Christ." Life application; Read your Bible, everyday, ask God to speak to you, call to Him and He will answer you and show you great and mighty things that you do not know. The very things that cause us to have divided loyalties can be overcome and conquered through the living Word of God! And they will be as we daily abide in Jesus Christ.

"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth." John 17:17. "If you continue in My Word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32. Believe it!

Divided loyalty or a disciple which do you choose to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment