"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. " Jeremiah 33:3

Thursday, April 12, 2012

"So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him." Luke 15:20 NASB

The title verse today is taken from the parable that Jesus shared with His followers concerning the prodigal son. I was once a prodigal, thinking that I knew better than my heavenly Father  what was good for my life. How foolish and blind I was but as with all prodigals I was deceived by worldly lies and blind to my own folly.

In the ensuing years since that time God has shown me through His Word how it happens that true believers in Jesus Christ can become prodigals for a season. Some are rebellious, others are trapped in the sins of their own choosing, but God loves them all and His eyes never leave them! It is in retrospect that I see how faithful God was to me even while I was not faithful to Him. He never ever gave up on me, and He will never give up on any of His children that He has chosen. I say this to encourage those of you who have prodigals that you are praying for...don't give up, God hasn't given up on them!

I'm going to share some scripture references that reveal and give us insight into what is going on in the heart and mind of a prodigal. The scriptures reveal the effect that sin has on our bodies, as well as emotional and spiritual deception that is present. Sin does deceive and nothing deceives so strongly as the sin of pride.  Sin brings darkness but the Light of the World, Jesus Christ is the One who will set the captives to sin and lies, free!

"Behold, as for the proud one, his soul is not right within him..." Habakkuk 2:4

"For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened."  Romans 1:21

"But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes."  1 John 2:11

"But when he came to his senses, he said, How many of my father's hired men have more than enough bread, but I am dying here with hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and will say to him, father I have sinned against heaven, and in your sight."  Luke 15:17-18

"Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses."  Psalm 25:16-17

If you are off doing your own thing and away from God and you are realizing how you believed a lie, how you were drawn to the glitter of the world only to find out that too was a lie, a trap designed to make you a slave, then you are ready for the truth of the next scripture, this is for you!

"When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer.  I acknowledged my sin to You and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.  And You forgave the guilt of my sin."  Psalm 32:3-5

Father God, our prayer for our prodigals is please keep Your hand lovingly upon them, day and night.  Guard and protect them from the evil one. Bring them to their senses, flood the darkness that has blinded them with the Light of Your countenance. May the Holy Spirit grant them godly sorrow that leads to true repentance. Please Lord set these captives free and welcome them with Your loving arms, pour out Your compassion, love and sweet embrace within them. In Jesus name we pray this and eagerly watch for Your work to be done in their lives. Thank You Lord, that no one is ever beyond Your reach!  we willingly entrust ______________ to the hands that created them, may Thy purpose for their life be done to Your glory!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment