"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. " Jeremiah 33:3

Monday, January 23, 2012

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16 NASB

Years ago I had a spiritual mentor than never even knew that was how I viewed her, her name was Marylou. Marylou was about 10 years older than I, a wife and mother and she was crazy about Jesus! She was a natural leader and a uncompromisingly bold witness for the Lord. I was new in my faith and I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. Maryanne was passionate about Jesus, you didn't wonder if she loved the Lord, because He was her life and it showed!

She instilled in me the importance of a daily quiet time with the Lord. She didn't teach me one on one but rather through questions. Every time I saw her she would look me in the eye and ask; "What is God doing in your life today?" she wasn't making polite conversation, she expected an answer! And she would wait to see if I had anything to say, and many times I didn't but that never stopped her from asking. "What did God speak to you in your quiet time today?" prompted me to begin jotting down scriptures that God had used from my reading to speak to me and I began sharing those with her. Little by little I actually began to expect to hear from God everyday, one lesson learned. It honors God not only when we daily meet with Him but when our faith grows and we expect to hear from Him!

The other lesson that her questions prompted was the value of sharing with others what God has first given to you. The blessing is two fold, first we are to share His wonders, His majesty, His mighty deeds, Psalm 51:15 "O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare Your praise." Psalm 78:4 "We will not conceal them from their children, But tell to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, And His strength and His wondrous works that He has done." And secondly in the sharing of what God has taught you, you gain greater understanding yourself! Philemon verse six, "And I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become effective through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ's sake." That is when the Holy Spirit first began teaching me the value of life application in scripture. Thank you Marylou for your love for Jesus and your relentless questions!

Perhaps some young believer is watching you and learning from you and you don't even know it. When was the last time you asked someone; "So what is God speaking to you about in His Word?' "What did God teach you today in your quiet time?" That is what accountability is truly all about. Or maybe you have a Marylou in your life right now, why don't you thank her for her love for Jesus and her passion to share Him with others.

And don't forget to share with someone what God is doing in your life, it is pleasing to Him and you will learn even more about our amazing God!

No comments:

Post a Comment