"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. " Jeremiah 33:3

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be clearheaded." 1 Thessalonians 5:6 NLT

In the physical sense, when a person is sleeping he is not aware that he sleeps.  Is that true in the spiritual sense as well? Could I be asleep spiritually as I type this, could you be sleeping spiritually as you read this? I believe the answers to both questions are yes. Physical sleep is good, God gave us sleep for rest and renewal.  On the other hand spiritual sleep is most assuredly not good!  Today's title Scripture contains a powerful admonition not to sleep like others do that do not know the Lord.  The world knows nothing about the return of Christ but believers do and we are to be alert and awake, and about our Father's business.
 
How do we check to determine if we are slumbering when we need to be watchful?  Holy Spirit guide us into all truth and warn us about those areas within us where we need to be more alert, reveal to us if we are comatose and quicken our spirits to awaken us before it is too late. For our Lord is coming soon!!
 
1.       Do I have a daily quiet time with the Lord?
2.       Am I just going thru the motions or am I expecting to hear from Him?
3.       Do I humble myself daily and pray to be filled and led by the Holy Spirit?
4.       Do I still view my life as my own?
5.       Am I depending on the Lord to direct my steps according to His Word?
6.       Do I love Jesus more today than at any other time in my life?
7.       Do I obey His commands because that is how I show my love for Him?
8.       Is Jesus my favorite part of me?
9.       Does my life reflect Jesus heart for the lost of the world?
10.     When was the last time I shared the gospel with a nonbeliever?
 
11.      Is my faith growing?
12.     Do my prayers honor the Lord by the enormity of my requests?
13.     Do I tithe, do I give joyfully?
14.     Do I have unforgiveness in my heart towards anyone?
15.     Do I put the needs of others before my own needs?
16.     Am I growing in the wisdom and knowledge of Jesus Christ?
17.     Are my eyes open to the needs of others and do I give in response?
18.     Do I love the unlovely as Christ loved me in my unloveliness?
19.     Do I confess my sins daily so I can maintain fellowship with the Lord?
20.    Do others see Jesus in me, and give the glory to God?
 
Please don't feel condemned because God does not condemn you (Romans 8:1) we  can thank the Lord for showing us those areas of our life that He desires to remove from us because they hinder our relationship with Him. He is giving us a wake up call, let us heed His voice and wake up, let us follow where He leads, let us nudge one another lovingly to wake up and follow Him.       

No comments:

Post a Comment